How Does Diabetes Affect The Body?What is Hyperglycemia?
- Diabetes and coronary heart disease are closely related.
- Similar to how diabetes affects the heart, high blood pressure and cholesterol raises the risk of strokes.
- Retinopathy is caused by blood vessels in the back of the eye (the retina) swelling and leaking. High blood pressure is also a contributing factor for diabetic retinopathy. Read more
Hyperglycemia, the term for expressing high blood sugar, has been defined by the World Health Organisation as:
- Blood glucose levels greater than 7.0 mmol/L
- (126 mg/dl) when fasting
- Blood glucose levels greater 11.0 mmol/L
- (200 mg/dl) 2 hours after meals
Type 2 diabetes is a serious health condition. Type 2 diabetes can potentially be avoided through diet and exercise. Such a diagnosis can be viewed as a useful, if urgent, wake up call.
If resistance to insulin increases, people with type 2 diabetes may need to take oral anti-diabetic medications, or take insulin to keep their blood sugar levels stable... read more